Tuesday, May 21, 2013


 photo f02acb67-5a98-4b75-b563-6bf12744d0f8_zpsb6bab7fe.jpg

          So I just found out I am a carrier for cystic fibrosis, we are waiting for my babies father to get his blood test back.  Cystic Fibrosis is a hereditary disease that causes mucous to covers your lungs and obstructs your pancreas causing digestive problems.  It causes infections, some people die from the infections or have to get lung transplants.  People with cystic fibrosis have a shorter life expectancy, they are making lots of headway in studies of cystic fibrosis and the life expectancy is expected to increase to 50 for those born after 2000 as far as I know the current life expectancy is around 37 but with many outliving this.  If my babies father is a carrier then there is a 25 percent chance that my baby will have cystic fibrosis 50 percent chance it will also be a carrier and a 25 percent chance that nothing will happen at all.  The doctor didn't tell me much just that we needed to get my boy friend tested and that it could potentially be problematic for the baby depending on the results.  I have been researching what I could find on the subject most of the day.  My parents had no idea of anyone in either of their families having it, apparently it can hide for generations.

 photo 27b22f9d-7005-4bad-90c0-e3cd2b8f4777_zps1c7eeaf0.jpg

        The odds aren't the most terrible and there's really nothing I can do but wait for the results, I just feel so helpless, I just want to keep my little one safe.  I never realized how scary it is to be a parent until now, to love someone so much and want to do everything in your power to keep them safe but lacking the capacity to protect them from so much.  I just want to keep the bad things from you little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment